Thursday, April 17, 2008

Just call me Mom



So, last night, we were on our way home from Erma's. I was a happy girl, I got my first cherry dip of the season, as did my oldest daughter - Emily. It was a beautiful spring night. The trees are almost in full bloom - almost. I was having a relaxing moment. It was just that, a moment.

Emily was being her usual self. "Mom." "Maauum." "Maaauummmm." "Mom, I have called you three times."

Here it comes - the zillion questions that I would have to endure in the car ride home:

"What does that sign say?"

"Why?"

"What does that thing mean by the steering wheel?"

"Why?"

"How do you know you need gas?"

"Why?"

"Is it November yet?"

"Why?"

"When is Hailey coming?"

"Why?"

"Can we go sledding next time it snows in the winter?"

"Why?"

"Maaauuuummmm - why are you not answering me?"

Why is it that it's always Mom she asks? Why not Dad? It's something I hear about a thousand times a day. Sometimes, it's just what I want to hear - but a lot of times, it's usually followed by a request, or a question. Both of which I don't always feel like dealing with at that time.

The funny part of this whole thing is this - right now Paige pretty much only says "Dada." Of course, she is just making sounds with no meaning. But what do I do? I say to her all day long, "Say Mama." I show her exactly how to form her mouth, and what sound it is that should come out. Am I crazy? I should be reveling in the Dada.

This motherhood thing. It's enough to drive a person crazy. And sometimes, I would not have it any other way.


By the way - the reason that she is asking about November is not because she is really looking forward to the presidential election, but because that's when I told her it would be okay to talk about her birthday. If I did not do this, then we would all have to endure endless questions about her birthday all year long. I know this may seem a little mean - and that's fine. If you wish, I can give Emily your telephone number, and have her forward all her birthday questions and requests to you. Trust me. You don't want that. So let's just keep it the way that I have it. And she's fine with it - really. She just talks about Paige's birthday. I'll have to put a moratorium on that on July 25th.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Wow! Sounds like a certain little boy named Eric (AKA Question Boy)that I remember from years ago. And this is why I bought him that mug with that question on it....