Monday, October 29, 2007

Ironic Sunday

Some of you may know, although most probably don't, my sweet little Emily is an EXPERT on Fire Safety. It started last year when the fire department visited Emily's school to talk about fire safety. They gave out coloring books, plastic fire hats and lots of fire safety rules. Emily, for some reason, really took to it, and we heard all about emergency lights, smoke detectors, emergency plans, and pretty much anything else for about three months after the visit. I was glad she was so into it, but at the same time, I was over hearing about it nonstop.

Last week the fire department made their annual visit to Emily's school again. Once again we were relegated to talk of fire safety. This time, the fire department brought each one of the kids a DVD that they could take home. OH GOODIE. It even had a catchy tune that has been in my head for a week. Emily has been sharing her fire safety knowledge to pretty much anyone, my Mom, my Aunt, strangers in a store.......

So why the title Ironic Sunday? Well, here's the story. On Saturday Eric went with my Grandfather and Uncle up to the Mount Pleasant area to my Grandfather's cabin to help out with the delivery of a new shed/barn. They stayed the night and returned on Sunday evening. My Mom, Emily, Paige, My Aunt Teresa, and me went to Somerset Mall for some Saturday shopping and lunch. On the way there Emily filled my Aunt in on all the fire safety things she learned. It was GREAT. That night I put the girls to bed, and collapsed in my bed at around 10pm. I was EXHAUSTED for some reason. At around 12:30am Paige woke up, I went in a gave her the pacifier and she went back to sleep. I went to the bathroom, only to find that the toilet was backed up. Great. I didn't care, I went back to bed and vowed to fix it in the morning. At 3:03am I was woken up by a chirping sound....was it a cricket? That would be no. I was the smoke detector in my bedroom. I guess the battery was dying. From experience, I knew that it would chirp until the battery was replaced. No big huge deal right? Well, yes it was. We have a vaulted ceiling in our room, and I could not, without getting the HUGE ladder out from the garage, change out the battery. I decided that maybe if I hit the test button it may stop....it was 3am, I was sleepy. I went downstairs, got the carpet rake (it had a long handle) and went back upstairs. I ran into Max on the way back up - he was on his way down, freaked out by the chirping. Of course, it didn't work. So now what do I do? I went back downstairs to get the stepladder to try and reach the smoke detector. On my way to the laundry room I came across a pile of doggy doo doo left by Max. Lovely. He is such a scaredy dog. Nervous pooper. Got rid of the poop - cursed Max who was watching the whole thing. Of course, I could not reach the smoke detector with the ladder combined with the carpet rake, but for some reason it decided to stop chirping. At this point I was covered in sweat, so I now had to change my PJ's. It was about 3:45am at this point. Went back to bed, laid there waiting for the smoke detector to start chirping again - it didn't, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. 3:53am - Paige wakes up for her middle of the night feeding. I went downstairs for the third time that night to get her bottle, and almost stepped in a pile of dog pee left by nervous Max. Is the Humane Society open at 4am? Got the bottle, fed Paige, went back to sleep at 4:20am. Paige woke up again at 7am, followed closely by Emily at 7:25am. Irony is amazing. I should not have made fun of Emily and her fire safety. Someone is watching!

Carving pumpkins tonight - something we didn't really get to do in Florida. Should have pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poo Poo I say. What a yucky night. Have fun with the pumpkins...I love to toast the seeds! I can't wait to see your pictures. I bet you make great pumpkins, you are so creative. Hope tonight is without chirping :)

Anonymous said...

♫ Be cool about Fire Safety! ♪♫