Tuesday, September 11, 2007

July 24th revisited

Seven weeks and some hours ago, I woke up (figuratively, I wasn't actually sleeping), got ready, went downstairs and didn't eat, kissed Emily and my Mom good bye, and left for the hospital to have baby girl number 2. It all sounds so simple. It was, I guess. Simple surgery, over in a matter of minutes. Just a couple of moments that changed my life forever. I remember sitting on the operating table, waiting for my spinal, and thinking, "Oh my God. This is really happening." It was a surreal experience. The OR was full of women - the only exception was the anesthesiologist and my husband. And, then at 10:33am, we brought one more into the room. She was screaming before the cord was even cut. Since then, I have thought what it must have been like for her - she was peacefully swimming along in my belly, not a care in the world, then WHAMMO!! Out of nowhere, the brightest light, hugely loud sounds and not to mention, FREEZING COLD.....it would make me cry too.

She continued crying through her first feeding, her first bath, and countless temperature checks, and stopped right before her newly minted BIG sister and Grandma (my Mom) arrived at around 1:30pm. They brought my starving husband lunch - which he continued to eat even though I was puking my brains out in front of him - typical male. That spinal anesthesia made me VERY nauseous.

By the time my Uncle Denny and cousin Kelly arrived, I was feeling much better. Paige continued to sleep, and we talked about what a peaceful baby she was, and how she couldn't possibly be the crab that Emily was........oh how silly we were. Other visitors that afternoon included my Dad and Natalie, and my Aunt Teresa. I continued on my diet of ice chips, scared that my nausea would return.

By the time everyone left, I was exhausted. They took Paige to the nursery for the night, and continued waking me up every few hours - I think I slept about 3 hours.

It's all past us now - nine months of anticipating, and it's over in a flash.

Paige at seven weeks is a very healthy eater. She is taking about 30-32 ounces of formula every day. Eric weighed her the other day, and it appears that she is up to 11 pounds. Dr. Mikula - my OB who I saw for my final post pardum appt. today - said that I was lucky I wasn't breastfeeding, because Paige would probably be attached to my boob 24 hours a day. Now that's something you don't hear from a doctor everyday. Paige is also starting to smile and coo a lot more. She somewhat happier than she has been - but she still has her crying spells. She is enjoying her baths much more now. She is nowhere near a schedule yet - I am hoping that is coming. I have also decided that she has a very short attention span. When she is awake and in a somewhat good mood, she's only happy on her playmat for five minutes, swing - five minutes, doing baby aerobics - five minutes. I have to keep changing the activity every five minutes....no wonder I am so tired.
Here's some pictures of the little one from today:





No comments: