Thursday, August 20, 2009

this is why i love this state

I love Michigan. I do, I do, I do. I know that some people don't understand this - when they think Michigan, they automatically think - SNOW, COLD, WINDCHILL. And, yes, it's true, we do have those things. But we also have some outstanding weather in the spring, summer and fall. Even some beautiful days in the midst of all that winter cold.

To go along with all that wonderful weather, we have lots and lots of ways you can enjoy it. For example, the other night we went out to Erma's - our most favorite frozen custard stand - and enjoyed a most beautiful August evening. Warm, gentle breezes, sunshine, not a bit of humidity to be found. D.E.L.I.G.H.T.F.U.L. They also have this great field - the "kids" love to run around after finishing their dessert.

And yesterday we went to Stoney Creek Park. 

We got to play - yes, PLAY - with Monarch butterflies. Emily was as happy as can be.

Go for a walk on a beautiful nature trail.

And check out Stoney Creek. Which, by the way, had a few mosquitoes flying nearby.....Michigan isn't all roses and wonderfulness, it does have some drawbacks....I think I got at least ten bites while taking this picture.

And we found my new favorite beach. Coincidentally, this is now Emily and Paige's most favorite beach as well. They have a roped off area so that the swimmers don't get in the way of the paddleboats/canoes/kayaks. It's pretty shallow all the way out, so Emily feels pretty confident without her swim-vest. I had to practically drag her out of there.
And this one too. She wanted to run, flip, splash, laugh and play all day long. She was very successful in scaring me by running out towards the deeper water. Of course, I didn't wear my swim suit, so chasing her in water that was past my knees was not on my list of things I wanted to do. So, after a very long game of chase, I pulled her back to the beach to play with all things sand. 


And she was OK with that too.

Definitely wearing my swimsuit next time.

No comments: