Wednesday, February 8, 2012

{All-Day bound...}

Photobucket

A couple weeks ago it was declared that All Day Kindergarten would replace the traditional Half Day Kindergarten in our school district. Much applause and cries were heard all around. I was one of those that was applauding. My background in education, elementary education to be more precise, tells me that an all day curriculum would be the best for my girl. She will not have to rush through her Kindergarten year. She will have plenty of time to prepare for first grade and beyond. She will have plenty of time to develop social relationships with her classmates that will hopefully carry her all throughout her scholastic career. I know all these things to be true. And if Kindergarten were to start tomorrow, she would be ready. She is BEYOND excited. This girl has been watching Emily get on that school bus since she was seeing from the seat of her stroller. She has been wanting to get on that bus since she could walk. And the thoughts that SHE will get to ride that bus next year...well the anticipation of that - it's almost too much for this four and a half year old to bear.

Photobucket

A couple of days ago, I realized that she is really growing up. I know, kids, they tend to do that. But this past week, she is dropping so many of her babyish habits, and replacing them with those of a much more mature kid. And all that confidence I felt about her going to Kindergarten began to fade a bit.

Photobucket

She has been by my side for four and a half years. Up until this year, all day, everyday. And of course, there were many times I wished she would just leave me in peace for a moment - a lot of that came while I was in the bathroom...but, it's kind of sad to think that I won't have her little face around all day.

Photobucket

Being a parent is a crazy thing. Every moment of your child's life you have this push/pull thing going on. Of course I want my girls to grow up and be independent little beings. But, can't they just sit on my lap and watch Micky Mouse Clubhouse with me a bit longer?

Photobucket

Can't they say dis or dat instead of this or that, just a while longer?

Photobucket

I know. They can't. It's so strange to think about my kids being teenagers, or adults. But it is the goal right?

Photobucket

So, I get it, you Moms who had those sad faces in the hallway of pre-school last week. I get it. It's hard to watch them pull away. It's hard to let them grow up. I guess we almost have no choice in the matter. And if you know my Paige - I lost that battle four and a half years ago.

1 comment:

jebon said...

nice blog and very cute girl.

http://flying-fish.info